Friday, May 17, 2013

Vinyl Veekend: Paul Simon's Graceland

I thought I'd do something obvious this weekend. Paul Simon's Graceland. His opus in my opinion. I'm sure some of you are all like "OMG, duh...this is my favorite album already!!!" I hope, but I thought I'd share for the people who haven't experienced the pure genius of this record.

If you have a record player, buy this album. As you can see I got it at Half Price Books (which they don't have in LA, kill me now) for $3.99. You WILL NOT regret this purchase. Paul Simon is probably my favorite singer-song writer of ALL time. Graceland is without a doubt in my top 5 albums of all time, and this album is such a good summer jam!

Here's some things:

1. Lady Smith Black Mambazo, a South African a cappella choir is featured on this album. Did you hear me? African a cappella singing! If that is not reason enough for you to give it a listen then...well, I guess I just don't know who you are anymore.

2. When I first laid eyes on Jonathan "You Can Call Me Al" (one of the hits from this album) was playing on the jukebox at Bennigan's. Yes, Bennigan's. Me and J's origin story is peppered with little white trash details, and we aren't ashamed.

3. I have peed in Paul Simon's toilet in his New York City apartment where I also looked over his MASSIVE collection of poetry books. He was not home. (Long story).

4. When I was a child my mom played lots of folk music, which is where my affair with Simon and
Garfunkle started, and is what lead to my discovery of this album later in life.

5. If you like the stylings of a little band called Vampire Weekend, you have this album to thank.

6. I want to learn the dance moves L.S.B.M. jam out in this music video. All of them.


Jonny sells vinyl on ebay if you want to have a looksee go HERE
Happy Weekending!


1 comment:

  1. OMG! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this record! AMAZING! You have inspired me to listen to it on my upcoming trip to the Hamptons. Thank you! Hope your weekend is going well! XO

    Courtney

    http://cupcakeobsessions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to spill your guts! However, please keep those guts nice and constructive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...